Friday, August 8, 2008

Sweet Business

I found a few interesting facts about honey bee's that
I wanted to share. God's creation is so amazing!

  • Honey bees' wings beat 11,400 times per minute.
  • Bees' flight speed averages only 15 miles per hour.
  • Bees possess five eyes.
  • Honeybees communicate with one another by "dancing" so as to give the direction and distance of flowers.
  • A single hive contains approximately 40-45,000 bees.

  • Honey is nectar that bees have repeatedly regurgitated and dehydrated.
  • In the course of her lifetime, a worker bee will produce 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey.
  • To make one pound of honey, workers in a hive fly 55,000 miles and tap two million flowers.

Wikipedia image


Here are a few verses with honey mentioned, from the bible:

My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste: Proverbs 24:13

The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. Proverbs

More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Psalm 19:9-10

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psalm 119:103

7 comments:

Possum Princess said...

Wow!! Those are some interesting facts about bees!!!!!

Julia Marie said...

There's no way bees could have happened randomly! BTW, I had no idea that they have five eyes.....seems like an odd number to have ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What industrious creatures!
I never knew it took so long just to make one pound of honey!
Those are all really neat facts; God's creation is so amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these neat facts Amy! That is amazing how many miles and flowers it takes to make one pound of honey!

Anonymous said...

Didn't know that.....very cool!

Anonymous said...

I like your new layout!

God's creation is so amazing, and yet I so often overlook the little things, like.... honeybees.

Maria Pauline

Grace said...

Honey bees are amazing! Thanks for posting this, I learned a lot.

Happy Birthday!:)I put a little birthday post for you on my blog:)...I hope you don't mind that I used a picture of you:)